Have you had trouble communicating with foreigners? Obviously you know the word but your listening skill is still not good? You can talk in English very fluently with the Vietnamese but foreigners do not understand what you say? All of your difficulties are result from incorrect pronunciation. So how to practice correct English pronunciation?
The impact of incorrect pronunciation
– Listening skills: the first influence of pronunciation is to affect your listening skill. For example, you are familiar with the word “heart” and always read it like / hə: t /, so when the word is pronounced / hɑ: t / you are confused and do not realize what the word is. This is the first impact of incorrect English pronunciation.
– Speaking skills: Similar to listening skills, if the word “heart” should be pronounced / hɑ: t/ then you say / hə: t / and make foreigners misunderstand the word “hurt”. As a result, communication efficiency decreases as they do not understand what you say.
Practice English pronunciation in 3 steps
– Step 1: Practice pronunciation in international phonetic transcription
First, practice the pronunciation of each syllable, both vowel and consonant. Practice the sound and the words that contain that sound smoothly and accurately. If you do not know how to read the sounds, then look up vocabulary that contains the sound, listen to the audio and repeat it, it is best to look up by Oxford dictionary, or you can also learn the pronunciation in BBC learning English.
– Step 2: Practice pronunciation of each word
Once you have properly pronounced the sounds, practice the words that contain the sounds. Repeating these words is a common way to practice for many people because speaking out loud and repeating them can help you remember these sounds faster and longer.
– Step 3: Practice sentences
After having confidence in your English pronunciation, practice speaking English. You should practice to speak the first sentence slowly but accurately all the sounds and words, do not hurry to speak quickly because it is easy to make mistakes. It is best to repeat sentences spoken by foreigners, such as short sentences in the film, or newsletters on VOA, BBC, CNN.
After improving your English pronunciation, definitely you will be more confident about your communication skills.