Today, learning English is often focused on communication, that is, primarily listening and speaking, to serve the work and study. Therefore, there are many ideas supposing that grammar is not important and do not need to learn grammar. That was a mistake. Essentially, learning grammar is also essential for your English learning.
The role of grammar for other skills
– First of all, grammar is the foundation for you to understand what other people are talking about. There are many people who think that just by listening to others, the string of words can help you understand the content of the whole sentence or the paragraph. This may be true for ordinary sentences, but if the content is more complex and using more tenses, relative pronouns, inversions, comparative structures, etc, must be based on grammar to understand what they want to say.
– Speaking: From the beginning, you have to rely on grammar to form sentences and fully express what you want to say. You can imitate, of course, but how do you create sentences with other structures if you only imitate without understanding how to form sentences then?
– Reading: Similar to listening skills, when reading a text, you must use grammar to understand the meaning of the paragraph.
– Writing: There is no need to discuss how important grammar is to writing skills.
Therefore, it’s necessary to practice English grammar to support other skills.
How to practice English grammar?
– Study grammar: first learn grammar according to the system from the most basic units, to grasp certain principles of English.
– Do English exercises: The English grammar exercises are quite diverse, you should do the exercises from the easy level to difficult one, choose exercises according to the content you’ve learned to avoid being overwhelmed.
– Applied to skills: You can apply grammar to your speaking skills by giving examples in the structure you’ve just learnt, then speak, record and listen. This makes you familiar with using the structure you have learned, which makes it easy to recognize this structure when listening to others.
Although English grammar is not focused on communication, it still influence the acquisition of new cultures and languages. So, to learn English comprehensively, you should add knowledge to all skills, including grammar.