Dictionaries are an indispensable tool for English learners. Try to find a dictionary suitable, depending on the intended use such as learning English to communicate, look up from the expertise that you choose the appropriate dictionary type. There are some country-specific dictionaries such as Australia’s Macquarie, Oxford dictionary of English, Webster’s dictionary of the United States … along with look up the English dictionary online popularly is very good and useful you should know.
Steps to get started with the dictionary:
1. Read the manual
The introduction will explain the important parts of look up the English dictionary, such as acronyms, phonetic symbols, etc. This guide also helps you understand how the contents of a new word are interpreted. The information is explained in the word.
2. Learn how acronyms are used
Different dictionaries will use different abbreviations. You have to take time to look carefully to avoid possible mistakes.
3. Learn the pronunciation guidelines carefully
If you immediately read the words while looking up English dictionaries without reading the pronunciation guide, there will be some difficulties in using it and maybe you will mispronounce.
4. Read the instructions at the top of the page
The two words that appear at the top of the page will help you know if the page contains your word.
5. Read the information in the explanation of your look up words fully
- Definition of words: You may find it boring but it may contain synonyms, related words that help you increase vocabulary.
- For example: help you apply those words to specific situations
- Category word: for example, the word you are looking for is the noun, look up the English dictionary will give you other words like adjectives, verbs, adverbs.
Use free online dictionaries:
There are many free and good online dictionaries page, and you can find and choose the most useful ones. The great benefit of online dictionaries is that there is an audio section that helps you to pronounce the word you find.